Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pledge

In the years since we left our hometowns, Kevin and I have lived in something like fifteen different places. 2008 was the first year in my memory that I didn't have at least two addresses to list on our income taxes. This week, we have taken a huge step in our relationship with our house. Practically gotten down on one knee and presented it with a diamond ring. Two of our formerly sterile white walled rooms now have color. I love it so much I might even consider taking the For Sale sign out of the front yard.

Along with the grandparent who drove 300 miles at 58 MPH to play with the kids for the day while we painted, came a trailer-load of fabulous old furnishings. My grandmother left her home several years ago. Nearly ten years ago now, I think. Aside from all the memories, her place was jam-packed full of stuff. Some of the stuff has now made it to our home.


Complete With Knick Knacks

I don't have clear memories of this dresser - I can't even tell you which room it used to occupy in Grandma's house (Mom? Dad?) But the smell that still lives in the drawers opens a floodgate. I could cry just walking past it.

Thanks to my family for emptying, lifting, storing and ultimately parting with these beautiful treasures.

1 comment: